The primary goal is to develop, communicate and administer a comprehensive program of high quality and cost-effective employee benefits. The overall Benefits Program is an integral part of the County’s total compensation program and is designed to attract and retain qualified employees to serve our citizens.
Full-time, part-time and limited-term employees are eligible to participate in our plans; however, the level of benefits depends on the classification of the position, and number of hours worked.
Prince William County offers three medical plans with corresponding pharmacy and vision coverage, two dental plans and a supplemental vision plan.
- Prince William County participates in the Virginia Retirement System (VRS). Retirement is mandatory for all full-time employees. Depending on an employee’s date of hire and previous VRS service, they are enrolled in one of three plans, Plan 1, Plan 2 or the Hybrid Plan. All employees contribute 5% of salary to the Plan which is matched actuarially by the County.
- Hazardous duty employees (Police, Fire and Rescue, Sheriff, and Jail Officers) are also eligible for additional enhanced benefits under the VRS. Police and Fire employees have an additional Supplemental Retirement Plan.
- The County also offers 401a and 457 defined contribution plans.
- These voluntary programs offer:
- Pre-tax contributions and a wide array of investment options.
- There is a County match on employee 401a contributions (set by the Board of County Supervisors each fiscal year).
- Eligible employees may also receive a health insurance credit at the time of retirement. This additional money is a monthly lifetime benefit that reimburses retirees for health insurance premiums.
- VRS Retirement Plan
- Health Insurance Credit Brochure
Prince William County provides free basic life insurance that equals an employee’s salary rounded to the nearest thousand, then doubled. Employees may purchase additional life insurance for themselves, spouse and/or children.
- Annual leave* – accrue 4 hours each pay period. Accrual increases every 3 years up to a maximum of 8 hours per pay period.
- Sick leave* – accrue 4 hours each pay period.
- *Leave accruals adjust based on schedule
- Paid Holidays- receive up to 12 holidays per year.
- Well days – earn up to 2 additional days of annual leave depending on the number of sick hours used within a calendar year.
In addition to the benefits listed above, the County offers the following programs:
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Direct Deposit
- Credit Union Membership
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Advisory Committee
- Other Leave Programs